Dentist in Colorado Springs
Maintaining good oral health requires regular dental treatments. Whether you need a simple cleaning or a more extensive dental procedure, knowing what to anticipate during your next appointment with our dentist in Colorado Springs can help alleviate anxiety and ensure a positive outcome.
Common Dental Procedures: What to Expect at Your Next Visit
Ordinary Dental Procedures
Cleanings and checkups are examples of routine dental procedures. You usually need to schedule appointments for these treatments every six months, as they help identify potential dental problems and fix existing ones.
A dentist does the following during an ordinary visit:
- Cleans your teeth to remove plaque and tartar buildup.
- Looks for symptoms of decay, gum disease, and other dental problems.
- Takes X-rays to look for hidden dental issues.
- Provides suggestions for keeping good dental health, such as brushing, flossing, and avoiding certain foods.
Restorative Dental Procedures
Restorative dentistry procedures are used to fix or replace missing and damaged teeth. Fillings, crowns, and bridges are examples of popular restorative procedures. During your appointment, a dentist will evaluate the injured tooth and identify the best course of therapy, as well as:
- Reduce discomfort by using sedation and numbing the area with a topical anesthetic.
- Remove any decay or damaged tissue from the tooth.
- Place the filling, crown, or bridge to restore the tooth’s function and appearance.
Cosmetic Dental Procedures
Aesthetic dental procedures enhance the appearance of your teeth and smile. Teeth whitening, veneers, and bonding are among the most frequent cosmetic procedures. You will get an oral examination to see if you’re fit for a cosmetic dental procedure and then define your goals, such as getting a whiter smile or more evenly shaped teeth.
Cosmetic dentists also:
- Provide a recommendation for the best cosmetic operation to get the desired outcomes.
- If necessary, numb the region using a local anesthetic.
- Carry out the procedure, including tooth contouring, whitening, or bonding.
Surgical Dental Procedures
Surgical dental procedures are more complicated and require the services of a specialized professional, such as an oral surgeon. Extractions, implants, and gum surgery are all popular surgical procedures. Your dentist or oral surgeon will do the following during a surgical dental appointment:
- Numb the area and reduce discomfort using local or general anesthesia.
- If necessary, make incisions in the gum tissue.
- Carry out the operation, such as a tooth extraction or implant placement.
- Provide instructions for post-operative care and set follow-up appointments.
Sedation dentistry is an option for patients who experience anxiety or fear during dental appointments. Anesthesia assists patients in relaxing and feeling more comfortable throughout the treatment. The level of sedation needed varies depending on the patient’s specific needs and the complexity of the surgery.
Sedation techniques commonly used in dentistry include:
- Nitrogen oxide (laughing gas)
- Oral sedation (taking a pill before the appointment)
- IV Sedation (administered intravenously)
Are You Looking for a Reliable Dentist in Colorado Springs?
At Mountain Springs Advanced Dental, our dentist will work with you to give the best care possible, whether you require a regular cleaning or a more sophisticated dental surgery. Remember to practice good oral hygiene at home to help prevent dental problems and keep your smile healthy and bright. Give us a call to learn about the procedures we offer!